Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Finding My Balance

When I left my full-time job a few years ago, I looked forward to the balance I thought I would find in my life. I had a vision of how I would have less stress about keeping the house clean and tidy all the time.

Fast forward to a land without cleaning fairies and unicorns of timeliness. Fast forward to a land of reality.

A short time into my new "job" of motherhood, I realized that finding balance is a struggle no matter what job you have or role you play. Once kids are added to the mix, there's a never ending supply of dishes and laundry that need washing and putting away. The floors always need a vacuum run over them because of the piles of crumbs that magically fall off kids as they walk through the house - even when there's no food in sight. There are always toys to pick up.

There's always a kids who needs a drink, or a snack, or a diaper change, or a potty break, or a toy that's out of reach, or sticky face cleaned.

There's also the moment - usually about 2 p.m. - where I realize that I've forgotten to eat or drink anything yet that day. Then there's bills and work (at home and usually at night, but it's still there).

Of course, in the midst of all this is the fun of actually being with the kids. Seeing my girls through all their milestones so far has been far more rewarding than anything else I've experienced in life. Having the opportunity to put Play-Doh before a PowerPoint was a good call. It works for us.

But, finding the balance between all the must-dos of childcare and home maintenance and the fun playtime and learning opportunities is still a struggle. If I had my way, I'd spend all day playing with the girls, planning fun learning activities and making all sorts of crafts. If I did what I knew "needed" to be done, I'd have a super clean house, but I'd feel guilty all the time for never spending the time with my girls that they deserve.

I know if these are the worst of our problems, I should be thankful. I know that "there will be time to clean later." But, sometimes it would just be nice to feel like there is time in the day to be a fun, attentive mother and a super duper housekeeper. There are days I feel like I've got it down, but there are days where I also feel like I'm being pulled 100 directions. Such is life and motherhood, I guess?

For those of you who have done this Mom thing longer than me - whether you work inside your home, outside your home or your kids are your work - please feel free to share your insighst here.  Any tips or tricks you have to finding the balance between "must-do" things and fun/learning kid time would be great to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment