Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So, Today, I'm 28 ...

Today was my birthday. I turned 28.

After waking up this morning to the Ladybug's greeting of "Hop-e Burr-day," I thought a lot today about what's most important to me and -- though there are a great many things I have yet to learn -- about all the things I've learned so far in life.

  • *My family is, by far, the most important thing in my life. I've always been close with family and placed a great deal of value on family. But, the older I get, the more important family continues to become to me. I spent all day today with various family members. I'll get to do the same thing Saturday and again next Wednesday - all related to birthday fun. I can't think of anything I'd rather be do.


  • I deeply value the strong friendships I have. I think I used to be happy having many, more casual friends. Though the past few years, I have become very fortunate to have developed a small group of close friendships. These friends are no less than extensions of my family, and I as years go by, I continue to be more grateful for their laughter, support, honesty and acceptance. 


  • Birthdays become a little less exciting the older you get. There are fewer (or no) balloons, rarely a party with friends, not nearly as many presents, and generally less anticipation. It's another birthday. It will be nice, but then it will be over and things will go on as they were. 


  • Birthdays are much more exciting the older you get. There's more excitement in that I care less about the presents and balloons and much more about the value of the day. There's also more excitement in moments like those from tonight: When the Hubby brought in my cake (a red velvet ice cream cake filled with cake batter-flavored ice cream - Mmmmmmm...), Miss Olive was ecstatic! She spent most of the time declaring "Hop-e" (it took too much effort to get out Burr-day every time, too), and she loved that the cake was part of today's "Hop-e." She loved it so much, in fact, that we blew out candles multiple times. I think I'd forgotten until today how much fun birthday candles can be.

I'm very thankful to have been so blessed with a wonderful husband, outstanding daughter, another little one on the way, supportive family, terrific friends, and overall pretty great life.

2 comments: